Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ashes to Ashes...Better to Better....HACKA-ZOOKA!

My Grandpa Baker was able to let go of this life on April 21st. We celebrated his life on April 24th, and in my own way, I have been celebrating his life for the past couple of weeks, and now am able to be at peace with my feelings.

My Grandpa was a crazy man. He knew how to love, and he knew how to hate. He knew how to express himself by his words, but even more so by his music. He was a passionate man. He loved to tell horrible jokes. He had this way of ending his jokes with his hand on the side of his mouth and then laugh and smile, a huge warm smile. His fingers were crazy long...perfect for a man who played the trumpet for the majority of his life. He was a ladies man. He was the happiest when he was with a woman, and for those women in his life, I am grateful. Probably because of them, my grandpa was encouraged to have a relationship with his children and grandchildren. His obituary was proof of his 'womanizer' ability with 4 special lady friends listed.

The end of his journey he was able to reconnect and let go of the past. He was able to love in a completely new way. He met Avolyn a few months ago. Aunt Cathy took Avolyn into Grandpas room and Aunt Cathy asked him to open his eyes and tell her what she saw. Grandpa said, "I see a bald baby". Which, if you knew Grandpa you would know that he eyesight was something less than desirable, but in my heart, I know he saw her, and I am glad that they had that moment.

Near the end of his life he was visited by many different people, either by his dreams, and/or maybe even spirits. He was told by a spirit man "Ashes to ashes, better to better". And for Grandpa, I know that he is now better to better. Grandpa was not one to give up, even on life. But for some reason I feel that when he was told better to better, he was alright, and knew there was something 'better'. Whatever that is. He is better, not in pain, and probably happy to have his teeth back to play some music with all of his lady friends around him. He probably has a never-ending cigarette in one hand, a beer in the other hand, and saying something about a Hocka and a Zooka (Grandpas saying for eeevvverrrything!)
Looking back on Grandpas life, he has taught me a lot. I have been very fortunate to have his passion for music. He has reminded me that even at the end of the road, there is room to learn something new. The most important piece of Grandpa that he has given me is my warm, friendly, patient, loving dad. Sometimes I wonder how my Dad is how he is. I sure am lucky to have such a great dad, and am thankful to Grandpa, for whatever he did or did not do, my dad is the best. If you don't know my dad, you should, because he is the best Dad and the best Grand-dude there ever was or ever will be.



Hacka, you will be miss, but celebrated for the rest of my life. I love you, and will always have a special place in my heart for you...

And now because there cannot be a post without a picture or 2 of Avolyn...


2 comments:

Heather McC. said...

Thanks for sharing this Sara. I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts about Grandpa, and especially appreciated the honesty with which you described him and how you put things in perspective, especially about your dad. :) My mom really liked it too, she wanted to make sure I had read it!

Anonymous said...

Sara what a wonderful post. I'm so blessed to know you and your entire family. You are one lucky girl. I enjoyed each word of this post and how I felt as though I knew your Grandfather very well. I know your proud to call him your Grandfather just as he is to call you his Granddaughter! Thank you for sharing. MJH